Sunday, December 2, 2007

Magglio Ordóñez Scares Me

Does this man frighten anyone else to the point where they are quaking in their shoes (or slippers, as the case may be, such as in my case at the moment)?

All stats are 2007 (regular season, duh).


.363
Batting average. (Insert enormous shudder here)

.595
Slugging percentage.

1.029
OPS (on base percentage plus slugging).

139
RBIs.

54
Doubles.


But there's more to what makes him so scary than big numbers (I'm still stuck on that .363). I saw him play at a Tigers-Sox game in May and we were in the right field bleachers, so I got to see him play in the field up close*. He made some great catches. But the most amazing part of his performance that day was the way he fed off of the crowd. It sounds kind of weird, but he took the same kind of support or whatever it was from the boos at Fenway as anyone else would take from fans chanting their name at home.

Anyway. Just thought I'd put this out there, since there's nothing else to post, really, until the Santana deals are done. I'm actually too scared to write about it.




*Incidentally, the star of the show that day was Eric Hinske. Video here.