Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More Pedroia Obsessing

I'm marveling at myself. Two non-stats-related posts about Pedroia and none about Ellsbury. I need to step it up.

But really. How can you not love this kid?



Thumbs up to you, too, MiniPetey.

Anyway. I'm beating around the bush--the real reason for this post is mostly to squeak and squeal and squee over this text message li'l Dustin sent to his college coach (who he's kept up a correspondence with after being drafted) in April, when he was slumping. Word-for word, down to the last punctuation mark:

Book it

i am going to hit 300 even after the horrible start i'm having right now

you taught me how to deal with this

1 for my last 26 no biggie

an explosion is going to happen soon


He's very laid back about being 1 for 26 (which translates to a .038 batting average, by the way), but he's so determined to step it up. And look what he did--even with a .172 BA in April, he ended up making his mark of .300 by .017.

For the record, without April factored in, he hit .339. Excuse me? Can we just have that repeated once more?

Without his abysmal April, Dustin Pedroia hit .339.

No wonder his RotY was so definite.




Oh. And I also find it unendingly adorable that he's admitted to being "5'7" or 5'8" or whatever the heck they list me at", when I'm about 5'6''.