Thursday, November 29, 2007

Santana/Sox Update

Several sources (including ESPN.com and a St. Paul newspaper) have indicated that the Sox have offered the Twins, in exchange for Santana, Lester, Coco, Jed Lowrie, and a minor league pitcher who may be Justin Masterson or Michael Bowden. The last three are highly touted minor league prospects in the Sox' stystem and, well, we've heard of the first two.

I honestly do not want Lester or Coco to go--but if it's not Jacoby or Buchholz, I guess I'm sort of okay with it. By no means do I not want either on my team, but I think this is the best offer the Sox could've made.

Coco definitely played Gold Glove-caliber defense this season. Although his bat was not exactly spectacular (cough), he had a career year defensive-ways. His fielding percentage was .998, the highest of his 5-year career. And people seem to forget that he's just 28, and still to reach his peak performance years--and he's only newly 28, as his birthday was November 1.

Lester--well, again, I'll be sad to see him go, but if it's him or Buchholz... sorry, Jon. Of course both are going to be great pitchers; I don't doubt that. Both have proven they can do really well against the big boys (again, for proof just look at the no-no and game 4 of the WS) but I think Buchholz just has better stuff. I'm not going to go into my worship of/love-rant about his changeup, but I think the only thing he could really do to be LESS hittable is to be able to throw his fastball with the precision that Beckett and (in past years) Schilling have shown. Lester's great. Don't get me wrong. But Buchholz is just better.

Also, I like Buchholz better personally. Not just based on performance, that is.

On the topic of minor leaguers, it's always a bit sad to part with young guys, but Lowrie doesn't have a slot with the Sox. He's a shortstop, and we've got Lugo. Masterson and Bowden are both really good pitchers--but I don't really know much about either, and if we already have Buchholz and Lester, plus whoever isn't traded (of course, assuming the Sox do end up trading these guys) out of these two for young starting pitching talent. Although it's hard to choose between these guys who to keep, it is kind of nice to have too much starting pitching.

Not many numbers. I'm just analyzing here. Wow. Weird.

(So weird I just typed "wierd".)